[OM] Re: IT8 Target Practice

Subject: [OM] Re: IT8 Target Practice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:14:07 -0800
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> Having gotten the old Polaroid scanner back in service, I'm trying to
> do a couple things I've been intending to do for a long time.  One is
> shoot a frame of an IT8 target and build an ICC profile for that film
> type in Vuescan.

Terrific idea.
> I got a 5x7 copy of the IT8 target yesterday with an order of film.
> Today when I went to copy it, I could not under any circumstance find
> a method for doing this that didn't result in reflections on the
> glossy surface.

I too had this trouble with my first target, a simply piece of 5x7
glossy photo paper. Get it in the sun and about right with no
reflections and it would start  to curl, creating new reflections. I
managed, but it was difficult. I later bought an 8x10 target on luster
surface paper laminated to a stiff piece of plastic. Problem solved.

Try sticking the target to something stiff.
> I ended up attaching the T10 flash and cross-polarizer and shooting
> the darn thing in direct sunlight.  I didn't power up the flash, I
> just used it as a holder for the cross-polarizer.  I THINK this should
> work out OK, but I sort of wish I could have done this with just the
> naked lens itself and no intermediary filter involved.
>
> I started to wonder if just copying the darn thing using the T10 as
> light source might not be as good as anything.

Heavens no! Even the cross polarizer is bound to not be entirely color
neutral, so it will throw off your profile. It is then only valid for a
picture taken through the same polarizer.

Same thing for the T10. A profile made with it is valid for other images
made with it, but not for daylight. Flashes may be roughly daylight
balanced, but aren't really the same.

For accurate color, the profile needs to be made with the same light as
the image is it used to adjust. Shoot by late day light with a daylight
profile and you will get the warm effect of that light. Shoot the IT8 in
that light, make a profile from it and the previously warm images can
become balanced as though shot in the middle of the day.

Single profiles shot in midday-ish sun seem to work for me.
> Any experience?
Yes, I find icc profiles to be a big help and time saver
> opinions?

Moose