[OM] Re: Call for submissions - question on exhibiting

Subject: [OM] Re: Call for submissions - question on exhibiting
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:43:43 -0800
> From: Ali Shah <alizookoman@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Are the photos included in the
> portofolio typically the ones accepted for the exhibit
> or do they just want to see a sample of your work?

The latter.

> How
> should I submit a portfolio; photos matted or unmatted
> or on a CD?

They should tell you. Follow their directions precisely.
Traditionally, dry-mounted on white matte board for a print
exhibition, or slides for an open-media exhibition. (Although the
stuffy, conservative art world is finally starting to notice
typewriters come with glowing screens these days.)

> What is an artist statement? Is that like
> a short bio?

An "artist's statement" is often about how you visualize or create
your art. It is often haughty. "The schadenfreude implicit in mauves
drives my need to create work that profoundly address the major
social issues in our zeitgeist." Generally, resume-like bios are
frowned upon. They wanna know how you think, not where you went to
high school. Some people mention if they went to a prestigious art
school, or studied under someone famous.

> Anything else I should know or do to make
> sure my photos are selected?

HA! "Make sure my photos are selected?" Come here often?

To paraphrase Cheeko Marx (or was it Karl Marx?) if the exhibition
was easy to get into, you are too good for it. If you get turned
down, they're a bunch of snobs.

I've applied to perhaps 850 shows and exhibitions since doing this
stuff full-time. I get turned down for about four out of five I apply
to. It's a tough world out there. You can get in one time, and show
the exact same stuff to the exact same jury next year, and not get
in. There are so many artists chasing so few venues.

A friend got into Cherry Creek one year, totally unexpectedly -- it
has about 100:1 rejection ratio, and is rated in the top ten art
festivals in the US. He sold out on his first day -- over 700 prints,
worth over $80,000! The next year, he invested in a lot of extra
inventory in preparation, and wasn't accepted. It's a crap-shoot.

I've also served on several juries, and served as judge at a couple
exhibitions. First rule: FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! If it says "slides,"
don't send prints! If it says "three 8x10 prints" don't send them a
boatload of other stuff. There is so much talent chasing so few
venues that if you make it at all difficult for them to pick you,
you're application will be tossed in the "non-conforming" pile.

Good luck! And remember, don't let it get to you. (Although it always
does.) Don't fall into the trap of expecting to be accepted the first
time you apply. And if you do get in, great!

:::: Jan Steinman, Photo Editor, Communities Magazine http://
communities.ic.org ::::
:::: 160 Sharp Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2P6, Canada
250.537.2024 ::::