[OM] Re: Monopod or tripod

Subject: [OM] Re: Monopod or tripod
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:08:38 -0700
> I am looking to get either a monopod or tripod to carry around, having
> checked out a local store today not sure which way to go.

  Amidst the rest of the thread, I don't think anyone's pointed out the
significant difference between what monopods and tripods are good for.

  Monopods help reduce hand shake with long lenses, but don't help much
with long exposures -- at night, a monopod's not going to be much help.

  On the other hand, monopods are smaller and lighter. Personally
speaking, I have a monopod and never use it; I'll rest the camera on my
knee, or a convenient pole or tree or whatever instead to help reduce shake.

  -- dan