[OM] Re: Isle Royale photos finally webbed out

Subject: [OM] Re: Isle Royale photos finally webbed out
From: "Scott Peden" <scotpeden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 00:28:59 -0800
Yeah, I've heard it too here, and in Michigan, and have heard people in
Alaska call it that too.

Usnea (Latin) aka 'Old Man's Beard' (just not as red as mine) is likely the
most common 'lichen' (Fungus and Algae growing in Symbiosis, NOT a moss) in
the world and probably gets called what ever is popular for the area.

In the USA, I think 'Spanish moss' is the 'Kleenex' name for anything that
is light green and has a hanging habit.

There are those who have Eco web sites that call Lace Lichen Spanish Moss
http://www.hastingsreserve.org/OakStory/LaceLichen2.html

What I'm not finding in my search is the physical distinctions, none of the
photo's are really close up, they all look rather homogenous, which I must
admit, before I became interested in these, looked that way to me too.

Old Mans Beard, like the Ramalina reconstituted with just a bit of water, so
if it is dry, wet it, and then take a thick strand and gently 'pull' and you
will see a thread inside. If it is white, that is Usnea aka Old Mans beard
and is a magnificent Micro biotical and anti fungal. Some of the other
similar ones are poisonous, don't ingest plant material unless you are
positive what it is. Usnea is the only safe one I know of, though others are
listed in some of the books, I am not familiar enough with them nor know
them well enough to certify that it really is a medicinal and not a similar
one.

Anyone interested in Poison Oak,  know loads of data on that! :-) some is
gory first hand and in horrific detail too. Usually it doesn't bother me,
then I broke all my 'safe to work in' rules and darned near died form it. It
comes in some gorgeous colors and forms.......