[OM] Re: Isle Royale photos finally webbed out

Subject: [OM] Re: Isle Royale photos finally webbed out
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:30:48 -0600
Facebook is ubiquitous over here.  I was helping out at a sort of
academic fair yesterday and talked with a friend in our Admissions
office (something American universities have because we actually have
to recruit students to come to our universities), who said that they
are finding it more successful to use Facebook to gather salient facts
about our student base than data from Admissions applications, etc.
Furthermore, data collected from applications is much of it protected
by federal educational privacy laws, whereas what young people are
willing to expose about themselves in Facebook is out there for the
world to see, behold. and gather.  So now junior's photo of "How I
looked throwing up at the party last weekend" is right out there for
his fraternity buddies to see, along with human resources directors,
professors, the police, etc.  Excellent resource for predators (like
Admissions offices?).

Joel W.