[OM] Re: Macro lighting

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro lighting
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:10:52 -0800
I like the stroboframe shoe:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=52772&;
is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I tried this bogen shoe and the fit is fussy (meaning too tight for the T32):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=5183&i
s=REG&addedTroughType=search

And the Testrite metal thing was also not a good fit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=53721&;
is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Long URLs, sorry for the wrapping.

>At the .2 to 3 inches away I am taking pics, a ring flash over powers it or
>doesn't get close enough.

If that .2 is not a typo, then I fully understand why you can't get close
enough.

As an expensive solution to extreme macro lighting when an AC source is present
(Mains for the European crowd) I went fiberoptic.  I use a Dolan Jenner setup:

The bidding place item # 160070817336 is an auction for the fiber itself but
does show a picture of a light source with the fiber.  It is a halogen source so
the color temperature must be accommodated for us film luddites.

A constant source has the advantage that it's there for focusing.
A fiber optic source has the advantage of precise location and NO HEAT.

I state that this Dolan Jenner setup is expensive (I think it was about $120 on
an auction) but it was way cheaper than the Novoflex solution on B & H for
$1200.  I had to build some stands and buy clamps etc for holding the fiber
ends, but I can make a whole lot of them for that price difference.

I haven't tried C.H.'s solution that Moose posted, but it looks really simple
and elegant and the sample shots he posted with this setup are proof that it
works very well.  Maybe a trip to TAP plastics is in order.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets