[OM] Re: New DSLR with live preview

Subject: [OM] Re: New DSLR with live preview
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:34:54 -0600
On 2/24/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Johnny Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Did you also notice that the live view reflects any exposure
> > compensation that's applied...?
> >
> Exactly what Oly got wrong with the E-330.
>
> Moose

Of course, Moose, I am inclined to disagree with you on this subject.
To characterize the first iteration of a technical achievement like
Live View as "wrong" because it doesn't have a feature you think might
be nice to have seems niggardly.

We know Live View will develop.  So what features would improve it?

Should Live View reflect all in-camera adjustments?  If not, should it
reflect some of them?  If so, which ones?

I'm really not looking for much, personally, to make it better than it
now is on the E-330.  Here is my list:

1) White Balance.  I suppose I first noticed the issue when changing
WB settings.  Would it be nice to have the WB in live view match what
will be rendered in the final capture?  The only circumstance in which
I really noticed an issue was shooting at sunset and right after
sunset.  I had set the WB to 5300 prior to shooting and the result in
playback wasn't matching what I was seeing in LV.  I changed WB to
Auto and I believe it still did not quite match.  So I don't know what
the color driver for LV in the LCD is.  This has been more of a
puzzlement than a disappointment.  Some approximation of WB wouldn't
hurt anything.  Top of my wish list.

2) Exposure Compensation.  Never have missed Live + - compensation.
No yearning for it.

3) Tones.  What about filter approximations?  Selection of sepia
toning or monochrome?  Not too important to me.

4) Saturation, contrast, and sharpening.  OK, sure, but is this a big
deal?  Hardly.

What is the live view for?  Is its purpose doggedly to reflect
in-camera settings?  Is it supposed to supplant playback?  In other
words, do we want Live View or Live Playback?

To my thinking, Oly made the right decisions for the E-330.  LV's a
great tool when you need it, but it retains something of the basic
transparency of the viewfinder.  A little previsualization still ought
to be valid even in digital photography.

A histogram overlay would be very cool though.  I would much rather
have that than Live Playback any day.  It's all very exciting and will
develop tremendously over time and we will have Live Playback someday.
 I can see the ad for it already:  a camera body hanging on the wall
with a fine print in the LCD.  >8^0

Joel W.