[OM] Re: OT colonoscopy

Subject: [OM] Re: OT colonoscopy
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 00:25:35 EST
In a message dated 2/24/2007 7:01:56 P.M. Central Standard Time,
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

There's  an element of blame the victim ideology in the use of
'willing'  Bill.

I'd be a fool to take on Jimmy Conners in a tennis match and I guess I'm
also a fool to wade into this one.  It is my belief that we as human beings
have
free will.  If we are honest with ourselves, most of us can look at  our
circumstances and attribute them as a reflection of the choices we have
willingly
made during our life.  Is that blame? No, I would simply say it  is giving
credit.  As an individual, my taking absolute responsibility  for my
circumstances is the only thing which gives me the power to change  them.

I'd  rather think that the essence of a 'civil'
society is its  willingness to look after those who can't fend for
themselves and  they are many for all sorts of reasons.

You will find no argument from me about taking care of those who can't fend
for themselves.  Where we will likely differ in opinion is when the line
between "can't" and "won't" get confused.  We likely will also differ when  the
line between "reasons" and "excuses" gets a little blurred.   When  one finds
another to blame for their circumstance and uses that as  an reason/excuse to
not do for themselves, they have IMHO reach a very sad  place in life.  The
answer to changing their circumstance is not external  to themself.
Unfortunately, too many don't understand  that.

The  example of
your unfortunate friend is a good case.

I can assure you my friend does not see himself as being unfortunate and he
mourns the loss of his wife, as any of us would.

Of  course some people exploit the system and some juries/courts
acquit  the guilty.

Yes, this does happen and some sub-cultures IMHO, see that as being  OK.  I
don't.

It is in  the nature of a fair system that you err
on the side of  benevolence.

Yes and it is best to acknowledge that and keep your eyes open.  What
appears to be benevolence could be argued to be something a bit more sinister
than
what it appears.

But  then, I'm just another grumpy liberal in a nation where that's
not  an insult.

Both sides of the aisle are pretty grumpy here and I don't think being
called a liberal is an insult.  There are those who see me as being liberal
and I
would not disagree with them is some areas.   You'd fit in rather  nicely in
the US.

Churchill had a rather interesting read on the liberal/conservative  thing.

I may convert my SUV to run on kerosene . . . 2 cents worth will carry you  a
long way.

<{8^)  Bill Barber

http://www.aol.com.