[OM] Re: Can*n and innovation

Subject: [OM] Re: Can*n and innovation
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 06:59:52 -0500
The principal distinction so far has been between what are called
"interline" and "full frame" sensors where interline and full frame
refer to the technology of reading the pixels off the sensor and have
nothing to do with 35mm size sensors.

Interline sensors are typically used in P&S cameras and full frame in
DSLR's.  Interline sensors read out line by line and can feed a monitor
in real time for full time live view.  They can also have embedded
electronic shutters and each line can be reset for the next exposure as
soon as it's read out.  Full frame sensors not so.  They need a
mechanical shutter to shade the chip when not actually making an
exposure and the entire chip needs to be read out and cleared to make it
ready for the next exposure.

Hmmm.  Interline sounds much better.  Why don't DSLR's use interline
chips?  The reason is that the technology for interline designs (so far
at least) has required circuitry to handle the shuttering and I/O
operations on the same surface as the pixel sensor.  Therefore, the
amount of real estate allocated to a pixel is smaller on an interline
design than a full frame design.  So, not only are these chips typically
much smaller than what's used on a DSLR but they are also inherently
noisier for any given size.

Now, given the live view modes on the E-330 and the Canon 1D Mark III,
it sounds like the technology is changing and moving toward some sort of
hybrid between interline and full frame that is also allowing and even
improving on high ISO performance.

Maybe Tim will report in here on what's happening at the sensor level.

Chuck Norcutt