[OM] Re: OT colonoscopy

Subject: [OM] Re: OT colonoscopy
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:58:35 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Jan Steinman wrote:

> What you surely must admit is that the Canadian system is
> egalitarian. If it is indeed a 124 day wait, it's that long for the
> rich CEO and the poor janitor alike.

You don't really believe that do you?  Even the Ontario government itself
has a policy of queue jumping patients who are on disability insurance!
Anyone on Workman's Compensation gets moved to the front of the queue so
that they get treated quickly and get back to work sooner (this is done to
reduce the amount of money the governemnt insurance policy pays out).  As
to those "rich CEO's", you won't likely find them waiting in line, they go
to the American system for treatment, as do some of our politician!

As for the ever growing delays, according to the Ontario governemnt itself
here are some real (although incomplete) statistics (http://www.waittimes.net):

Knee Replacement: 357 days
Hip Replacement: 278 days
Cancer Surgery: 78 days
CT Scan: 70 days
MRI Scan: 113 days

Our system isn't as great as some people make it out to be.
                                                -mark