[OM] Re: [OT] Health Care

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Health Care
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:06:04 -0500
I don't pretend to be an expert. I couldn't produce even a handful of
meaningful statistics on health care in the US or anywhere else in
the world. But I do believe this: As time passes and cultures evolve,
things change. There was a time when you had no right to worship as
you choose. There was a time when you couldn't speak your mind. There
was a time when you were guilty unless you could bribe your way out
of jail. There was a time when the police could lock you up and throw
away the key and never charge you with a damned thing. There was a
time when doctors made house calls and took chickens in payment.
There was a time when medicine was pretty damned limited in what it
could do. There was a time when the cost of health care was actually
related to the cost of providing it.

Times change. I've been opposed to Universal Health Care all my life,
and now I'm not. Now I believe a society such as the one I inhabit
ought to provide some standard of universal health care. Arguments to
the contrary be damned, it's just the right thing to do.

We're supposed to be smart people. We ought to be able to figure it out.

My $0.02, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

--Bob