[OM] Re: [OT] Health Care

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Health Care
From: Richard Ociepka <ociepka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:07:22 -0500
Bob Whitmire wrote:

> If you'll pardon my French,

No problem, I don't speak French anyway.

> what
> difference does it make how fast you can schedule an MRI if you don't
> have any way to pay for it?

In many cases if you can't get treatment fast enough it won't matter if
you pay or not.

> Besides, when you get right down to it, we're almost already there
> anyway. My autistic son is on something called Maine Care.

My son-in-law was under Maine Care.
Diagnosed with a rare form of a fast growing cancer at the age of 22 he
was able to get treatment under Maine Care.
It was thought he would have 6 months to live. With immediate treatment
for 5 more recurring bouts of cancer he lived another 6 years.
He died at the age of 28. At least his son got a chance to know him
before he passed.

Universal health care isn't free either. We all pay for it with higher
taxes and lower benefits.

I work with a fellow from Canada. When someone brings up universal
health care you just want to leave the room. He gets on his soapbox and
really starts speaking French. And since I cannot speak French I just leave.

Dick