[OM] Re: [OT] Health Care

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Health Care
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:43:52 -0800
That just conflicts with what I have read elsewhere. The immigration
pages for Canada say that immigrants must buy private insurance and
seek private treatment because they have not paid into the government
system. Elsewhere I have read several times that private health
insurance and private doctors are available to anyone who wants to
use them.

I just shake my head in wonder sometimes when I hear someone on the
tube say how many Canadians comes to the US for medical treatment to
avoid the wait. How many Canadians are rich enough to do that?  The
most common cause of bankruptcy in this country is a serious illness
in the family without medical insurance or with  medical insurance
that is cancelled somehow because people had the temerity to use it.
Most insurance policies have an upper liability limit that is easy to
exceed in a serious limit. I have a good friend with lymphoma that I
helped and by the time he died he was knocking at the door of the
half million dollar limit on his policy. If he had decided on the
bone marrow transplant he would have ended on some lesser care for
indigents.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA