[OM] Re: [OT] Health Care

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Health Care
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:24:21 -0800
> From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
>
> I'm amazed at the waiting times for treatment in Canada that Mark
> posted. When my oral cancer was diagnosed, I had an MRI and blood
> tests the next day and surgery a week later.

As I pointed out, Mark's numbers come from an organization that is
admittedly devoted to destroying all such government programs. They
have a bias, and they flaunt it with statistics that "prove" their
point.

As I also pointed out, my wife had an MRI within hours for a head
injury. And it's not like she was unconscious and bleeding all over
the floor. She was conscious and lucid and wanted to go home, but
they did an X-Ray first, and decided an MRI was prudent. They took
her by ambulance over a ferry to a larger hospital, and gave us a
ferry ticket to go home with when the MRI showed no damage.

This is anecdotal, but it is a first-hand account. I'm sure others
have heard anecdotal horror stories that "prove" their point, as well.

My point remains that both countries have good health care systems.
We can toss statistics back and forth all day, and not disprove that.
But in one country, it's only available to 80% of the population.

:::: This phase we're in of exponential growth is about over. We now
have an exponential growth culture that at the present time doesn't
even know how to cope with a state of non-growth. -- M. King Hubbert,
1976 ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::