[OM] Re: 5D Cleaning Problems?

Subject: [OM] Re: 5D Cleaning Problems?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:32:59 -0500
According to a spokesman for Photographic Solutions (maker of Eclipse
(methanol)) on the DPreview 5D forum they have had reports of the 5D's
front surface filter being damaged by Eclipse.  I've cleaned my 5D with
Eclipse on only one occasion but I actually swabbed it 3 separate times
with a clean PecPad each time because it wasn't coming clean.  It still
has one dust spot that usually doesn't show but as far as I can see
there has been no damage done to it.  Certainly not the huge, blotchy,
reddish spots covering large areas of the sensor as shown by some of the
complainants there.

The PS spokesman says they don't believe the Eclipse (methanol) is
responsible for the damaged sensor filters they have examined but, at
the same time, they say they cannot be sure and recommend instead the
use of Eclipse 2 (ethanol) on 5D's.

But it does boggle my mind that Canyon would put an easily damaged
coating on the front side of the filter.  But then again, no one but
Canyon yet knows how easily or not this coating can be damaged.  We all
clean coated lenses and filters (with care) without worrying that we're
going to strip off or damage the coating.

Chuck Norcutt