[OM] [OT] Info on external HD's and monitors, please

Subject: [OM] [OT] Info on external HD's and monitors, please
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:40:13 -0800 (PST)
My HD is pretty full and I need a method for backing up my files.  For now, the
solution lies in buying an external HD, but if you have better ideas, I would
love to hear them.
  I am looking for something that will be connected to my desktop, which means
that its dimentions are not important, since it will never leave the room.  Its
capacity should be 160GB max, given that it will take me at least couple of
years to reach the 70% mark.  Transfer speed is also unimportant.  The only
important thing is reliability.  Of course, being such a cheap ass, I intend to
spend as little as possible...:)
  It also appars that I need a monitor (please, dont aks what I am
replacing...:).  I still have my 20/20, but think that the min size should be
19in.  My computer has the ability to support two monitors, so the plan is to
use the old one for the tools and the new one for actual work.  Now, we all
know that specs are specs, and when it comes to monitors, I haven't learned how
to read them yet...what am I looking for?  Is it possible to get a decent
monitor at the $300 range (I have seen adverts from Acer somewhere...)?  Can
you recommend anything?
  When I search for prices I use pricewatch.com, pricegrabber.com and eyebuy of
course...
  Thanks in advance
  Boris