[OM] Re: [OT] Info on external HD's and monitors, please

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Info on external HD's and monitors, please
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:08:28 -0500
You can buy a 160GB EIDE drive for about $40-50 with a rebate.  Seagate,
Maxtor and Western Digital all offer them in that price range.  Just
watch the ads from Comp USA and other comparable suppliers like Staples
and grab the first one that gets into that price range.  If I had a
choice I'd take Seagate.  Nothing to do with drive reliability but their
  upgrade software for converting a bootable disk from an old one to
their new one has a lot less hassle than Western Digital.  I know of
nothing  beyond hearsay that says one is more reliable than another.
I've had failures from all three after about 3 years of run time.

After you get the EIDE drive you can put it in a $20-30 USB 2.0 external
case.  If you're going to use it for backup don't power it on unless
you're actually backing up.  It should last a long, long time that way.

Sorry, no answers for the monitor.  I need that answer myself.  Some
Samsung model of 19-20" got some press here on the list a while back but
I've forgotten what model it is and besides, they probably don't make it
anymore.  Since models come and go maybe what should be stated is the
specs... such as contrast ratio, viewing angle etc.  Then when the
models fade into oblivion after 6 weeks in the market place we can
identify the replacement by the specs.

Chuck Norcutt