[OM] Re: [OT] Info on external HD's and monitors, please

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Info on external HD's and monitors, please
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:46:24 -0600
Willie Wonka wrote:

> My HD is pretty full and I need a method for backing up my
> files.  For now, the solution lies in buying an external HD,
> but if you have better ideas, I would love to hear them.

An external HD is the way to go, but I would strongly recommend
getting a pair of them so one can serve as an off-site backup. An
alternative would be to get an external enclosure that can handle
two hard drives, but, owing to the magic of market competition, it
probably is cheaper to buy two independent external HDs than a
two-bay enclosure and two drives.

Just about any drive manufacturer out there has had a run of bad
models at one point or another -- Maxtor, WD, Hitachi, Seagate ...
so, it seems, it wouldn't matter much which brand you choose. One
brand that isn't so popular, but from which I've received excellent
service, is Samsung.  They're quiet and they run cool. When I buy
_my_ external storage, it likely will be Samsung. I'm that happy
with 'em. Five-year warranty, too, for what that's worth.

> It also appars that I need a monitor

I've heard good things about Dell monitors if you avoid their
bottom-of-the-line. If you're a little more adventurous, you could
check out monitors by the panel fabricators themselves (like ChiMei,
one of the biggest panel fabs in China, selling under their own name
and manufacturing panels for Westinghouse; and BenQ, a brand of
AUOptronics); there may be some good deals there because they're not
spending lots of money on a name (like Sony, Samsung, or Philips;
not to knock those monitors, but they obviously have much bigger
[consumer] advertising budgets than ChiMei or AUO). I would not
order any monitor sight-unseen, however, unless someone I trusted
completely has some personal experience with one for purposes just
like yours.

Steve