[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:53:03 -0800
> From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> ... the predicitons of the 70's were more than a bit higher
> than 6 billion.

I was in school during that period, and I don't recall any such
"predictions." There was only one fellow beating that drum, Paul
Ehrlich, and some credit his warnings, at least in part, for
declining population growth rates since.

You are probably confusing "possibilities" with "predictions"

In the first edition of The Population Bomb, Ehrlich wrote: "The
possibilities are infinite; the single course of events that will be
realized is unguessable. We can, however, look at a few possibilities
as an aid to our thinking, using a device known as a 'scenario'.
Scenarios are hypothetical sequences of events used as an aid in
thinking about the future, especially in identifying possible
decision points...Remember, these are just possibilities, not
predictions."

Personally, I think Ehrlich was only about 30-40 years off... not
bad, in the scale of things...

:::: You know you have reached perfection of design not when you have
nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away. --
Antoine de'Exupery
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>