[OM] Re: cleaning sensors

Subject: [OM] Re: cleaning sensors
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:08:02 -0800
Rodti MacLeary wrote:
> Sorry to hijack the thread, but I can see a lot of hair/dust/'stuff' on the
> mirror when I change lenses.  Is it safe to just brush this or use a lens
> cloth to clean it?

1. It has no effect whatsoever on the pictures you take,as the mirror is
up out of the way then.

2. Unless there is an awful lot of it, it has no effect on your view
through the viewfinder, as it is not in focus.

3. Dust that is staying peacefully on the mirror and trapped by it while
the shutter is open is not flying around loose , through the shutter and
onto the sensor.

Thus, the best policy is one of little or no intervention.

If there is so much that it is actually affecting the view through the
viewfinder, using a hand blower bulb with the opening pointing more or
less downward is unlikely to make anything worse. After blowing off the
mirror, gently blow past it in such a way as to encourage the now dust
filed air in the mirror box to flow out and be replaced by hopefully
less dust laden air from the surrounding room.

Remember what you see on a lazy summers day as rays of light illuminate
the vast umbers of dost motes in the air? Remember what happens to
surfaces in your house when you don't clean them? Blowing that air in to
dislodge dust is only useful to the extent that it replaces larger
amounts of dust with lesser amounts.

Yes, it is possible to brush off the mirror without damage, using a
properly clean, soft brush, but where is that dust going? Yes, it is
possible to wet clean the mirror, using proper technique, without
damage, but to what purpose if it's not affecting the images or
viewfinder? No, don't use a lens cloth. If any of the stuff is hard
edged, you can easily scratch the mirror.

Moose