[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:49:28 -0800
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> On 27/02/2007, at 2:11 PM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>>
>>> This is what we're doing:
>>>     http://www.weblife.org/humanure
>>>
>>> But Canadian Organic Growers won't let us use it on food crops.
>
> I always understood that human waste had too much by way of heavy
> metals for direct use.

You aren't supposed to LICK the cameras, Andrew! :-)

Two things: first, if you're eating organically, you don't have much
in the way of heavy metals in your "nutritious discharges."

Second: proper composting chelates heavy metals. You need to have
adequate carbon during the composting, typically from sawdust, which
has lignin, which binds to the metals and renders them organically
neutral.

But don't believe me, read the website! It's actually quite
entertaining, and I so applaud the author's willingness to make it
free on the web that I bought a copy of the book. Makes better
washroom reading than a web page.

:::: At the root of our problem is America's addiction to cheap
energy. It would be a sad commentary if our leaders found it easier
to send Americans to fight in the desert than to impose gasoline and
other energy taxes -- James Gustave Speth, 1990 ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::