[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:19:20 -0800
> From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Driving SUVs will soon directly mean starving
>> people in poor countries.
>
> I just got back from driving my son to school in my SUV...
> In four weeks I'll be going to Bolivia, to see the kids in
> poverty that I support there, and to help others in some of the
> most poverty
> situations on earth. Does this give me the credits necessary to
> continue
> driving my SUV?

Sorry, I should have more accurately said that excessive use of
ethanol will soon directly mean starving people in poor countries.

I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but if using a vehicle
that uses excessive fuel means the price of tortillas goes up in
Bolivia, doesn't it seem counter-productive to supporting kids in
poverty there?

This burning food for fuel thing... it's sorta like eating your own
foot, if you consider yourself a member of the human race... even
worse than what Edison had to say:

:::: We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our
house for fuel when we should be using nature's inexhaustible sources
of energy - sun, wind and tide. I'd put my money on the sun and solar
energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until
oil and coal run out before we tackle that.
-- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
:::: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/Item/80BF02>