[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:32:41 -0800
> From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Driving SUVs will soon directly mean starving people in poor
>> countries.
>
> Would you rather I drive an SUV, or a car *and* a pickup truck? I'd
> need
> both, because I need the capabilities of both at different times.

I'd *rather* see you form a community car-sharing co-op. You could
have a tiny, fuel-efficient vehicle for your daily commute, and could
sign-out the big pickup for those rare times you need it. If you're
in a suburb, you could do it all within walking distance.

We rugged-individualist North Americans have been led by marketing
companies to believe that we need one each everything. Unfortunately,
there isn't one-each to go around in a world with 6.7 billion people.

> Further,
> 95 percent of my driving is at highway speed, so a hybrid would do
> absolutely no good in my use...

Have you seen the Smart Car? I guess Detroit isn't letting them be
sold in the US yet. 90 mpg on biodiesel! Then there's the diesel
Jetta -- out-performs the hybrids on the highway, by some accounts.
(The US EPA has recently revised its MPG ratings.)

> The simple fact is that people in poor countries don't get to
> decide what I
> drive.

Don't feel lonely. Most Americans don't care much about poor people
(Wayne being a notable exception), but China and India don't care
that Americans don't care, and they want what we have, and China has
most of the US Dollars that are out there, so you really don't have
any say in what's going to happen.

It's gotta stop -- voluntarily, or nature will do it for us.

:::: The Apocalypse has Four Horsemen: climate change, habitat
destruction, industrial agriculture, and poverty. Each Horseman holds
a whip called Growth in his hand. None can be stopped unless all are
stopped. -- David Foley ::::

:::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality <http://
www.EcoReality.org> ::::