[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:54:57 -0800
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> My favorite on that one is the story of the two Australians who
> recently won a Nobel for discovering that gastric ulcers are caused
> by a bacterium. Of course, when this was proposed, everyone 'knew'
> that bacteria could not survive in the stomach and the pharmaceutical
> industry was producing lots of  profitable, ineffective and expensive
> long term medications.

But counter-culture people "knew" otherwise for quite a while before
Helicobacter pylori was discovered!

I remember an old country doc -- the kind that actually made house-
calls -- prescribing antibiotic for my father's ulcer, which totally
cleared it up.

The more we know, the more we forget...

:::: The per capita wattage that is critical for social well-being
lies within an order of magnitude which is far above the horsepower
known to four-fifths of humanity and far below the power commanded by
any Volkswagen driver. -- Ivan Illich ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org::::