[OM] Re: Anyone else in the UK signed this?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone else in the UK signed this?
From: James Royall <jamesroyall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:56:53 +0000
I came across this via London Independent Photography. A few people
researched it and found that any legislation is not imminent. See the
forwarded mail below. The guy that started the petition even says as
much on his page:

"These are the reasons why I have raised the petition at http://
petitions.pm.gov.uk/Photography/, and although there is no bill in
the offing, it is vitally important that politicians such as Mr
Livingston are fully aware of the basic rights UK citizens have, and
that changes to restrict our use of cameras would require very
fundamental changes in UK law."

It seems that the legislation talked about in the petition mentioned
in my two previous emails may be about legislation that is little
more (at this moment) than a glint in the government's (and some
other's) eye.
Not to say that something isn't afoot but I am indebted to Dan
Bachmann, Tina Rowe, Gary Alexander and others for comments in the
following vein and the referenced link.

Dan, for example,  wrote

Hi Len,

A friend of mine has indicated this is not an exact plan as such.
Please take a look at the email below and take a look at the web page
link. Feel free to share this with the person who sent you the link
and the rest of the LIP club.
- Dan

Subject: Re: Impending legislation affecting photography in public
places
To: Dan Bachmann

Thanks Dan,
Actually, I think I was the 1452nd person to sign that petition!
Subsequently I learned that there were no such plans on the part of
the govt, and that anyone can set up a petition, no matter how
sensible or ridiculous.
Here is a link to the website of the photographer that set up the
petition, with his rationale for doing so:

http://www.phooto.co.uk/rights.shtml