[OM] Leica MD vs. Olympus MD2

Subject: [OM] Leica MD vs. Olympus MD2
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:38:50 +0000
Since a few of you said you weren't yet tired of the Leica News, I'll do one
more. The others can just skip or delete it. Anyway, it may be a momentary
distriction from some of the "bad stuff" going on right now.

Comparing the Leica motor drive to the Olympus MD2:

The Leica drive is smaller and quieter, barely audible at the 1.5 f.p.s.
setting, which is all I ever need. I just want something that winds for me so I
don't forget. Top speed on the Leica is 3 f.p.s., but the Olympus MD will do,
as I recall, 5 f.p.s. on "sequence," but I doubt I've used that more times than
I've got fingers on one hand. On the other hand (ha-ha), the Leica MD has the
advantage of not using a rechargeable Ni-Cd pack. (All of mine are dead now. I
need to send them to John for a rebuild.) The Leica MD takes just two 123
Lithium batteries, of which I already have a bunch, about 20, for some other
stuff I have, and the Leica manual says a pair is good for about 90 36-exp.
rolls, so I'm good to go for a while. They cost about $16 a dozen and last for
10 years unused. But, unlike the MD2, the Leica MD doesn't rewind the film, but
unless you're shooting a dozen or more rolls a day, it's not a big deal. At
least, not to me.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from