[OM] Re: 24/2.8 stop-down fix?

Subject: [OM] Re: 24/2.8 stop-down fix?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:27:51 -0500
With oil on the blades I would normally expect a progressive decline
starting with overexposed images caused by a sluggish and slow to close
down diaphragm.  I have had some success treating such lenses by
removing the mount, linkage and rear elements and slowly dripping
Ronsonol lighter fluid (naptha) inside the diaphragm cage to evaporate
the oil.  However, I once had a Kiron 35-135 that was stuck fast, gave
no signs of oil and couldn't be revived with Ronsonol.  When I took it
apart I found a tiny piece of black grit (possibly a paint chip) wedged
between the diaphragm blades retaining cage and one of the blades.
Since they're all tied together they were all frozen.  After removing
the bit of grit I noticed the blades were still sluggish.  The clearance
between blades and cage wall was almost non-existent and I think one of
te blades wasn't perfectly flat and was dragging.  I stuck a shim of
about .002" thickness between the sides of the diaphragm cage and then
the diaphragm worked perfectly.

I've never had a 24/2.8 completely apart so I don't know if there is
some likely common cause there.  Maybe JH or Mark has some guidance.

Chuck Norcutt