[OM] Re: Did it again!

Subject: [OM] Re: Did it again!
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:47:23 +1100

On 01/03/2007, at 5:09 PM, Moose wrote:

>> To be contrary would be to have a particular disposition, a tendency
>> to disagree with any particular suggestion or instruction.
> And absent any particular suggestion or instruction, there is no
> contrariness. No object, no action. We could have a nice existential
> discussion about latent, as opposed to active, contrary behavior,
> but I
> don't think that would fit in with your next topic. :-)

A 'disposition' is the potential to act in a particular way.
Existential definitions of latent behaviours? - oh I love it when you
talk dirty! Given that existentialism is about choices made, latency
would seem to me to be irrelevant except in rather archaic concepts
of will.

> Stimulus/response is a model of.... But I suppose I am confusing the
> psychological school of behaviorism with a philosophical school.
> That's
> probably an empty bag too, but I withhold judgment, sort of, pending
> further information.

Yes it is and it is different although one often informs the other.
It is a way that materialists of the behaviourist type explain the
idea that a behaviour may be consider but not be enacted. For
instance, a wineglass has the dispostion of brittleness even though
it may never be smashed. Even by an object.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx