[OM] Re: Krappy exhibit

Subject: [OM] Re: Krappy exhibit
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 02:48:49 -0800
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Here is a link to the Krappy Kamera exhibit which opens next week at the
> Soho Photo Gallery on NYC.  My image, which was done while on the Isle
> Royale
> adventure in September is in the first dozen of so photos.  It is a  vertical
> images of the shore of Lake Superior.  Wish there a photo number  or
> something
> to tell you exactly which one it is, however I think most will  figure it
> out.
> Sorry not done with an Olympus although I did have several  Olympus cameras
> with me.  Done with a Zero Image 2000 pinhole on 120  film.
>
> There is some pretty nice work in this exhibit.
>
>  sohophoto.com/kk9web/index.htm

Well... I've been through this now. First things first, I have, of
course, seen your contribution before. It's a very good representative
of a genre that I seldom really like. I don't quite know how else to put
it.

Beyond that, some random observations.

There are indeed some fine images there. There is also a lot of Krap
that I wouldn't give house room to. I don't have the patience to go
through it again, the web design makes browsing slightly awkward., but I
think the real keepers slightly outnumber the complete losers, maybe.

I'll never make it as a NY artist.

Why were some of these pictures taken? Once taken, why weren't the
disposed of in a proper manner?

What judges let some of the painfully self conscious efforts to be
artistic that only reveal the failure of a wannabe into the show?

I mostly liked the ones with nekkid female body parts in them, artistic
and technical merit aside.

Blow off the chaff and there are some very enjoyable images in there, or
did I already say that.

Question. When is a diagonal, grainy, cut-off, fuzzy, vignetted and/or
whatever, photo of something better than a straight, technically good
photo of the same thing?

Answer. Not nearly as often as people seem to think. But when it's
right, it is often a triumph. Bringing the right heart/emotion to it is
the trick and not often accomplished.

Question. Why does Moose mostly only take "nice" pretty photos?

Answer: 'Cause he's a corny old softie, and likes them. Even puppies are
OK, as long as they are only in a photo.

Moose in a strange mood.