[OM] Re: PLEASE QUIT!!!!

Subject: [OM] Re: PLEASE QUIT!!!!
From: "Allen Coltrin" <hjlantern@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:58:33 -0800
Hello Piers,

see body of post.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:06:36 -0000

Allen

I have cut your reference to the E-500 and the Digital Zuiko lenses, as they
are irrelevant to your question, and invite the apparently unwelcome comment
about overlap and duplication.

Thank you. You are correct.

Based on my experience of four of the Tamron SP lenses in your second list
(and three that you don't list)

What are those?

I am confident that they are very high
quality lenses, capable of excellent results, at very reasonable prices.

I no longer have a Tamron 90mm lens, and therefore cannot test it myself on
a digital body, but I believe others have found that the flat rear element
causes reflections off the sensor, making it unsuitable for use on a digital
body.  But it appears you already have the lens, so you could test for that
yourself.

I guess I get to learn that one.

You do have duplication in your list, because you Tamron SP 90mm and 60-300
lenses in your second list are the same lenses as those in your first list.
I point this out not to score a point, but to help you waste time effort and
money on getting the same thing again.

Yes, since I already have the oly 300mm as well as other lenses through out
that range it makes no sense to have the 60-300, unless there is something I
am not aware of.

Apart from this, you also list two
different 300mm lenses, and there is overlap between the zooms and the
primes - but I assume this is deliberate.

Yes

You will also need to get an Olympus MA-1 adapter and as many Adaptall-2
mounts for OM as you think you will need - you could make do with one of
each, switching them between lenses as needed, but I recommend one
Adaptall-2 per lens.  If you really want to make things easy, get one MA-1
per lens.

I was hoping to avoid a bunch of adaptors but it is making more sense to
treat the adaptor as part of the lens. I've not come across an MA-1. What is
it's function?

And finally, I note that a 500mm lens no longer figures on your list - I
think thatis probably the right decision.  Can I therefore assume that you
do not want to buy the lens I offered you, as I haven't heard definitively
from you concerning the lens since 5 February.

I actually do still want a lens in that area. I was going for a 350/700mm
Tamron but It was pointed out that the lens is not an SP (it needs to be
that), the price was too high, and the lens was not listed on any of the
Tamron sites. I approached them and they said the Aussie that just bought
one is quit happy and gave me a phone number. Isn't it a bit unusual to have
several of the same lens that has been "dicontinued so I wouldn't see it in
any sites" a bit strange?

I wanted the lighter weight of that lens with the ability to still get a
decent streach of 700mm. I haven't decided on your lens to be honest for the
very reason that another person kind of steered me away from that and into
something at 350-400mm instead. I probably need to wait and see what happens
in the next little while.

Now off to the dentist for a root canal, YIPEEE!!!!!!! not...........
--
Piers

Thanks again for your help Piers,
Allen