[OM] "Garden" Exhibiton in Bedford, was: #040 Whiston church

Subject: [OM] "Garden" Exhibiton in Bedford, was: #040 Whiston church
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:09:28 +0000
I cannot remember your ever having caused trouble, Moose.

I hold no brief for Grete's photographs.  The exhibition consists of
only 3 images, all pretty large, and none of those did anything for
me (or for my wife, I later discovered).   The one with the plates
(it was plates-house-plates in a trio) is out of focus or soft for
some other reason.  The colours in the one with the sheet on the
washing line were a little grey; about the only interesting thing was
that they all had pretty bright colouring otherwise.  I find it
difficult to see how she got the showing.  it's possible that the
images should have been in a room larger than the 8' x 8' that was
provided.

I was once engaged to an artist, a painter, drawer and potter.  When
she did what came to her as aesthetically pleasing, her work was
wonderful.  But when she tried to rationalise (or formalise, perhaps)
a reason for a work *before* she executed the work the results tended
to be less attractive, and needing more support from the jargon of
her teachers.  Such talk (e.g. of spaces, divisions, expressions
etc ...) was difficult to relate to what looked attractive, but was
required of her by her teachers.

So, my only explanation for what the gallery decided to exhibit was
to appear new, ground-breaking or "difficult" perhaps (in that it
might only be good art if it requires careful examination to spot the
aesthetics behind it).  In fact, the exhibition supported my theory
that you only get anywhere in the art world if you can tell a good
story and persuade someone to see the aesthetic rationale where
perhaps it does not exist.

I am descending into bo*ocks, but it's the best I can do.

As an aside, we happened upon another gallery when looking for the
Bedford Creative Arts exhibition.  It was the Cecil Higgins Art
Gallery and it had watercolours on showL http://
www.cecilhigginsartgallery.org/paintings/paintings_home.htm

It was far more fulfilling to visit ...

Chris