[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:09:47 -0700
The Rocky Mountain Institute sponsored (and probably still does) the
development of high mileage vehicles. The last presentation I saw from them
was over 12 years ago and they claimed to have a four passenger car then
that could get 500 miles per gallon. It was a gasoline-electric hybrid that
used an 18 hp gasoline engine that ran at rated speed all the time. When not
needed for power the extra energy went to charge the batteries. It could go
135 miles per hour but only for short periods of time. Their target was 1000
miles per gallon. One big hurdle is air conditioning which takes about 18 hp
by itself. Cars of this type would be a lot different from conventional cars
of today. The bodies would be very light composite material and the seats
would probably be mesh to be self cooling. Special windows would not let the
sun in when warm but would permit light. There would be lots of changes in
the way cars are made and used. Collision safety adds weight and I don't
think they had factored that in yet. Much can be done when the marketplace
demands it.

/jmac