[OM] Re: astropotography

Subject: [OM] Re: astropotography
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:51:08 -0700
Astrophotography is normally done outdoors and the object is usually the
night sky, that is not what I was asking about.  What I meant was what
planetary objects you are interested in photographing and what equipment you
want to use for that.  The thing is that it is only the moon which you can
photograph satisfactorily with "normal" camera lenses, and you need a focal
length equal to perhaps 1000mm to get some acceptable images (sizewise).
Bigger is better.  You may also have noticed however that there is a lot of
telescopes on the market, some with camera adapters, and people tend to use
those rather than regular tele lenses if they want to photograph the night
sky.  I actually suggest you rethink this approach of yours.  If you already
have explained why you want camera lenses (and a stack of teleconverters)
rather than telescopes for this, I apologize for my then redundant reply.