[OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 02:02:21 -0800
Scott Peden wrote:
> I have pics of a shelf of cameras 25-30 feet away that I took with that
> Celestron, the color variation was interesting though, each shot was just a
> little different. That is Chromatic aberration?

No
<http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/chromatic_aberration_01.htm>.

More likely auto color balance with slightly different views of colored
things and/or mixed lighting. Try one of the fixed color settings. That
will give you color consistency in such a situation.

Auto color balance only really works on subjects that have all colors in
them in relative balance. With mono-colored subjects, it works very
badly. Although this example is with auto color in software, you will
get a similar effect with it in a camera
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Scan/GreenDoor/9-641_25wb.htm>.

I know you said RAW is not on your agenda yet, but this is another
reason to shoot RAW, especially in mixed lighting. With JPEG, the camera
does its color balance thing, and that's what you get. Although it is
often possible to recover in post, sometimes some colors have been lost.
With a RAW file, no color balance has been applied, That is done in the
RAW conversion process, under your control.

Other solutions to accurate color are targets that you shoot under the
subject lighting which act as reference points in RAW  conversion and/or
post. My favorite it the WhiBal
<http://www.rawworkflow.com/products/whibal/index.html>.

Moose