[OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB a lens to replace the other
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:44:24 -0500
I will add that chromatic abberation is even less likely in this case
since you were using a mirror lens.  Mirrors (by themselves) have zero
chromatic abberation.  A catadioptric instrument such as the Maksutov or
Schmidt Cassegrain designs each adds a refracting element in the front
in order to correct the coma and/or spherical abberation of the primary
mirror.  The refracting corrector element is a potential source of
chromatic abberation but the amount tends to be rather small.  In this
case the Schmidt design is superior to the Maksutov since the corrector
plate is very thin and near flat and introduces a negligable amount of
chromatic abberation.

Chuck Norcutt