[OM] Re: [photo] lunar eclipse

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] lunar eclipse
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 09:30:13 -0500
I haven't seen any of these things offered for many, many years.
Spiratone was the only seller of same that I can recall so we're
basically talking maybe through the 70's and early 80's at latest.  I
don't recall exactly when Spiratone bit the dust.

I wouldn't waste a lot of time on it.  The problem with using a camera
lens as a scope is that the lenses have very little backfocus distance
and it's hard to get an appropriately designed and sized porro or other
type of roof prism (for upright and proper right/left viewing) into the
available space.

I don't recall the eyepiece specs on these things but I doubt that you'd
get more magnification than a 7-10x binocular with lenses up to about
200mm and probably a very restricted field of view at that.  Above 200mm
I think you'd be much better off with a small spotting scope, even an
inexpensive one.  The OM mount lens would provide an excellent objective
lens but, in my opinion, it will be severely compromised by the
prism/eyepiece assembly of the inexpensive scope adapter.

Chuck Norcutt