[OM] Re: [photo] lunar eclipse

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] lunar eclipse
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 17:44:46 -0500
Microscope eyepieces are generally designated by a magnification factor
such as 10X.  Telescope eyepieces are designated only with focal length.
  Magnification in a telescope is determined by dividing the focal
length of the objective lens by the focal length of the eyepiece.  eg: a
135mm lens used with a 12mm eyepiece would yield 11.25X.  Field of view
for the combination is the field of view of the eyepiece (usually in the
range 35-70 degrees) divided by the magnification.  50 degrees is about
average for eyepieces these days so 50/11.25 would give a 4.4 degree
field of view or a bit less then a 500mm lens on a 35mm frame.

Chuck Norcutt