[OM] Re: Which lens would you choose

Subject: [OM] Re: Which lens would you choose
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:59:44 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The Tokina "yellow" ring near the front of the lens is actually gold
> colored.  It appears on all "AT-X Pro" lenses and some (maybe most) of
> the AT-X series.
Two of my AT-Xs have orange rings and the little red logo, but no SD
designation. I agree that the ring looks more gold or yellow than
orange, but I have the manual for one, and it says "f2.8 indicating
orange line. Considering the limited focal length range and lack of SD
glass, I speculate that they my predate the next group. They both are
excellent lenses, with the 24-40 being the standout superwide zoom
available in OM mount.
24-40/2.8
60-120/2.8 *

Three of them have red rings, the SD designation and the little red
logo. I have manuals for a couple of them, which say the red line
indicated SD glass.
35-200/3.5-4.5 *
80-200/2.8
150-500/5.6

Then there is the 50-250/4-5.6*, which is AT-X, but without red line or
SD designation.

And the three SZ-Xs that DO have red lines and SD designations.
35-105/3.5-4.3 (Now with another member.)
35-200/4.5-5.6 (The one Dick just mentioned.) *
70-210/4-5.6 *

And my first Tokina, long zoom and long time companion and two other
older zooms are simply RMC:
80-200/4.5 *
80-200/4 (Isolated with a possible case of fungus.)
28-85/4 *

> But some AT-X lenses (stubby zooms) don't have any
> color ring.  I suspect that it is purely a stylistic treatment and the
> stubby zooms don't have enough real estate for the color ring.
The 50-250 is certainly far from stubby, and has no red ring.
> About all you can say is that a Tokina lens with a gold ring is newer than
> one
> with a red ring.

If one can easily distinguish an orange ring from gold, perhaps so, but
my orange rings look more gold than orange.

 From all the above and your info, I speculate/conclude:

- The earliest AT-X models did not use SD glass

- The constant f2.8, non-SD versions sported an 'orange ring'

- The red ring has nothing at all to do with AT-X, but  is a separate
indication, along with an 'SD' on the front, of a lens with at least one
SD element.

- The orange 'f2.8' ring was dropped when later AT-X lenses acquired SD
glass and a red ring.

- The little red logo probably stands for Tokina, as it is on every
Tokina I have, regardless of age, model, etc.

 -My memory failed me about the RMC designation. It appears to have
disappeared when Tokina started all the separate line designations. I
think the distinction between the top line AT-X and other lines didn't
yet exist at that time. Witness the apparent optical superiority of the
RMC 28-85 to the AT-X version, although the AT-X has the desirable
features of smaller size and weight and close focus. Also, the RMCs are
all constant aperture and slower, typical of lenses from the early era
before TTL metering could be assumed.
> Current and recent past Tokina lenses and technology definitions can be
> found here <http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/index.html>
Not very useful for the older stuff that isn't there.

Moose

* Lenses I would part with for money. Notes on some of them:

AT-X 35-200. An excellent lens I have been happy using with only a WA
prime as my only lenses for vacations. With matching slip on hood.
Superseded in my affections by the larger, heavier Kiron 28-210. Not
sure why, I just like it.

AT-X 50-250. A great lens, with amazing macro - but my Tamron 60-300 is
as good and also has great macro capability, and more reach, which gets
my tele eye's call. With multi coverage rubber hood. I don't know just
how would compare to the Zuiko at normal distances in a large print
shoot out, but it is an AT-X. In close up and true macro, it stomps the
Zuiko 'cause the Zuiko doesn't do that.

SZ-X 35-200. Relatively light and compact. Probably not as good as the
AT-X, but with the big advantage of highest macro mag at the long end
for beter perspective and working distance. Matching clip on hood.

SZ-X 70-210. Amazingly small and light. A great walk around lens. SD
glass, but not in the AT-X class.

RMC 28-85. First rate lens. One of only a very few, including the Zuiko
35-70/3.6, that have a front element that moves in as it zooms out
separately from the front part that holds the hood, so the hood ocverage
in effect 'zooms' with the lens. Big and heavy (buily like a tank) for
the zoom range and speed.