[OM] Re: Reviews of E-410 and E-510

Subject: [OM] Re: Reviews of E-410 and E-510
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 07:59:21 -0800 (PST)
There are several things that jumped out at me as I looked at the 510
specs and the 410 preview:

1. Batteries.  The 510 uses the standard BLM-1 battery. This is good
news for those of us who have a little bit of an investment in
batteries.  For example, I've got three, plus the E-1's battery/grip
mega-mouth battery.

2. Panasonic sensor.  This is one of those things where I'm not
totally convinced yet.  The sensor is the equivelent to the "film" in
the camera.  Just like any film, we can adjust things after the fact,
but anytime you can get it closer to final result up front, the
better.

3. Usable Pixels. For the portrait/wedding/event photographer, the
10MP of 4/3 will give more usable pixels than 10MP in APS-style
sensor cameras.

4. The E-330 appears to actually be a superior camera in many ways
over both cameras. Everything from non-reflective coatings on the LCD
to the flip out/up display.  Even Live-Mode-A is inherently usable.
In reality, the only thing truely missing on the E-330 is
pixel-count.  It's a better camera all-around.

5. USB 2.0.   FINALLY!!!!

6. Olympus is releasing hints of what the new pro body is going to
include.  I'm actually quite intruiged.  It'll be 12 months before I
can afford to get one anyway, so we're in good shape yet.

7. My existing cameras have NOT been trumped yet.  The A1 lives to
see another season (after the sensor replacement, of course) and the
E-1 still remains a most-usable and ultra-reliable beast.

It's going to be a good year for Olympus.  I see no "show-stoppers"
in the design of the 410/510 bodies, and the E-330, if it happens to
be orphaned, may actually end up being a cult-classic.

AG

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.