[OM] Re: Sensors of E-400 and E-410 to be compared?

Subject: [OM] Re: Sensors of E-400 and E-410 to be compared?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:30:57 -0800
You have to realize that he is a Canon user and his opinion of most
of what Canon does is better and Canon uses CMOS. The main
differences seems to be:

CCD better fill factor, ie, a larger area of sensitivity on each site
which tends to create a quieter signal. Disadvantage is that it
downloads a row at a time and an external processor chip can only
work with the sequence of data in each row.

CMOS, although it has a smaller fill factor, the design allows for
adjustments at each individual site which may allow for noise control
for each pixel which is more free of artifacts that CCD processing.

It seems to me it is like disagreeing between unequal A arms or
McPherson struts in a front suspension. There are good ones and bad
ones in both. It is all in the details.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA