[OM] Re: Defining a look

Subject: [OM] Re: Defining a look
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 17:32:29 -0800 (PST)
Moose charged my helicopter with:
> I believe that all the links in the image creation chain leave
> their marks, some obvious, some subtle. And I suspect it is
> impossible to entirely separate out the individual contributions,
> especially in something like the A1, where lens. sensor and
> internal processing are inseparable.

Ah, very good point.  The lens in the A1 is an amazing piece of glass
and the sensor little to no AA filteration. That combination could be
part of the equation.

> I don't know what this special look is, but either the web versions
> don't have it or I don't get excited by it.

> Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in the last link, the
> text and/or the image?

The B&W image.  I shot that scene with both my 4x5 and the A1 and the
A1 actually produced the more pleasing image in 8x10 print form.

> Images 3 -5 of your recently posted Random Scans reached out,
> grabbed me, tossed me on the floor and left me wishing I smoked ,
> so I could have a leisurely cigarette while I lie there in the
> afterglow. None of those above did that to me.

Thank you.  I take that as a highest complement.  Yes, I am pleased
with the results too.  I'd think that these would be superior to the
A1 pictures--they're all Olympus film shots!  :)

One thought I have regarding the A1 and "the look" or whatever it is
that I was referring to.  Upon further thought, I'm thinking it's a
compositional issue more than anything else.  I almost always use the
live-view LCD with the A1 which allows me to use both eyes for
composition.  This is how compose a 4x5 view camera too.  With live
view on an E-x body would I start composing my images differently
too?

AG