[OM] Re: What worked and what didnt.

Subject: [OM] Re: What worked and what didnt.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:37:43 -0500
There are two types of reformatting.  One can wipe everything but
typically reformatting only wipes the directory info.  The data is all
still there but file names, dates and times and pointers to where they
start and end are lost.

I've only had to use a recovery utility once and used what had come with
one of my Lexar cards.  Most of the images were recovered but some were
not found, some were unreadable and some were truncated.  After
analyzing what was recovered and what was lost and the time sequence in
which I took the shots I realized that the failures had occured  at the
points where I had deleted an image and the camera inserted another into
its place.  With perfectly sequential images the software was able to
figure out the start and end points of the images.  But if a smaller
image was written in place of a larger one or a large one had to take up
space previously occupied by two non=sequential images it was no longer
able to accurately determine start and end points and, in particular,
had no way of joining together data blocks that belonged to the same
image but were not stored sequentially.

Given the circumstances I don't think another piece of software could
have done any better.  My lesson was never again to delete images in the
middle of a shoot since that what caused the recovery failures.

Chuck Norcutt