[OM] Re: lunar eclipse

Subject: [OM] Re: lunar eclipse
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:24:01 +0000
ELS wrote:
> Thanks Mike for posting.....It looks like the moon ! (;-)...I imagine you
> used manual focus (of course)?
> How was it trying to focus?

Errr - I just set it at infinity
> I couldn't try anything as I said, snowing hard here around the time that I
> "read" (somewhere ?), would have been "my more ideal time", tonight to have
> tried.
>
> I was trying to determine your exposure time:
>       Shutter Speed Value  94547/47274 sec
>
> I will use the calculator... ;-) 1.9999 secs?

I'm not sure why it says that - I was in manual mode, set the aperture
to f8 and varied the shutter speed based on chimping the previous shot.
I'm not really sure why I chose f8, maybe wider would have been better
since the 300 f4.5 is apparently sharp even when wide open.

I would have preferred to do some research prior to shooting but the
eclipse was already in progress when I found out about it. I had enough
trouble learning that my geared tripod head points upwards a maximum of
30 deg which was not even nearly enough. Fortunately my tripod allows
the centre column to be mounted horizontally, which then let me point
the lens as far upwards as I liked.

Mike.