[OM] Re: lighting

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:22:03 -0500
Excellent low cost stands from Savage right here:
<http://stores.ebay.com/J-and-K-Group_Light-Stands_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ9100742QQftidZ2QQtZkm>

Alien Bee flash heads have a built-in umbrella holder and the head slips
over and clamps on to a standard light stand stud so no adapters are
required.  Each light also comes with a 15 foot PC cord so no electronic
gizmos are required.  Also each light has a very sensitive optical slave
built in.  If no cable or triggering device is plugged into the back of
the flash it will be fired by the optical slave when another flash is
fired.  Power output is infinitely variable over a 5 stop range.

Two lights, two stands, two small umbrellas and one (included) 15' PC
cable and you're in business.

Ooops!  I almost forgot.  Neither the E-500 or E-330 have a PC
connection so you can add one of these (the Nikon is best)
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=37086&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>
or a cheap ebay radio slave.  Actually, I'd recommend the radio slave
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Radio-Slave-Flash-Trigger-4-Channel-Wireless_W0QQitemZ140090722399QQihZ004QQcategoryZ30086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
Four channel is more than you'll ever need (don't need 16) and the
miniplug connector here is a perfect fit for Alien Bees.

A great nice-to-have would be a flash meter but it's not absolutely
necessary when shooting digital and chimping to check exposure.  But
it's still very nice to have, especially when trying to balance multiple
lights.  This one is good value for the money and can also compute flash
percentage vs. ambient light which makes daylight fill flash very easy.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=221078&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

Chuck Norcutt