[OM] Re: lighting

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:17:23 -0800
Just to clarify I am not in anyway annoyed or upset with you. I will say I
don't always understand the logic behind your choices but I respect them as
yours to make. I don't think anyone here will insist you go with any tool
over any other tool, we make suggestions and back those suggestions up with
evidence or personal testimony.

Ok, back on track to lighting :)

What I do has influenced my choice of tools. One of the major things I do is
shoot all the portraits for a private school. These are not your run of the
mill school pictures, custom multi pose on location shoots are compulsory
for every senior. Prior to this I had also worked for an eBay consignment
store and I still sell stuff on there myself (part of my zuikoholism, honest
;). I also have recently started to do a little commercial work for a local
custom kitchen installer. These tasks and requirements lead me through the
following path

When I was just shooting objects I initially had a hot light, the excellent
Photoflex Starlite system. I only had one fixture and used a reflector to
fill in from the other side. I used this setup for a while (no people shots
at this point, people are not so keen on hot lights cause they are well,
hot.). Then I started to do the people pictures and made the move to a
strobe (flash) based system. I purchased a pair of Alien Bees B800's which I
used for a main light and fill light. Because I needed to do some outdoor
mobile fill flash work I also added a Quantum T2 which served as double duty
as a hair light indoors. Now this particular combination did cost more
because the Quantum is not a cheap unit, it is however pretty bomb proof. I
have recently added a B400 to take the place of the Quantum in the studio
setup.

I still would recommend that you consider renting something first if you
can, see what works in your space before you make a commitment to a package.

Dan S.