[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:38:38 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> There are undoubtedly many reasons for miscommunication but I've just
> noticed that one factor may be messages that arrive and are sorted in
> time sequence incorrectly since someone's clock is wrong.
Clearly, a reading of posts out of order may be part of it. Also, many
here, seldom, but occasionally including me, respond to posts in date
order as they read them, without looking ahead in the thread. If lots
has happened in the thread in the meantime, a failure to recognize that
the "new" post is, in effect, and "old" post arriving late to the party,
may lead to confusion.

> ..  Someone's clock is wrong and it ain't mine since I run
> Dimension 4.
>
> If your clock is suspect you can download Dimension 4 from here
> <http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/index.htm> which will keep your PC
> connected to an atomic clock on the internet and keep it updated with a
> frequency you can specify.  I also use the PC clock now to set my watch
> to the second and then use the watch to wander around the house setting
> clocks that seem to have come adrift from the flow of time.
I have done the same thing for many years. And Dimension4 looks fine for
the purpose, but I will continue using TimeRC until some future
operating system doesn't support it. I like it because it displays moon
phases and other moon data and meteor showers.

As far as I know, it was last updated with ver. 3.0 in 1999. It's
support site is long gone, but it is still available on download sites.
It's tiny and always works. I suppose its database of moon and meteor
shower info will run out one day, although for all I know, it taps into
an ongoing source.

> Ye old grandfather clock is mighty good lookin' but he don't keep time worth
> a darn.
The most attractive clock in my house is also the least accurate, a
Jeager-LeCoultre Atmos, which is powered by temperature changes. But my
goodness it's a beautiful piece of brass and glass. Sort of the OM-1 or
Mx of clocks.

Moose