[OM] Re: OT Telemarkerters (Was: NNNooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Telemarkerters (Was: NNNooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!)
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 00:08:43 +1030
sorry that this is OT & longwinded, but it is relevant to the topic...

As part of my day job, I work in the supply & maintenance/support of
datacomms equipment for some 100 or so  customer networks. As part of
this we sometimes have  the privelege of undertaking 'first-level
problem determination & resource engagement', i.e we get to call the
service providers & log faults on the data services connected to kit we
have support responsibility for.

A couple of weeks ago I called a Tier 1 (in Australia) communications
provider, as a new service was dead from first installation. Because of
the way in which the site is arranged, for site access I had to direct
the provider back to the client, to organise a tech visit to the 3rd
party disaster recovery site to fix it - which they did, in fairly short
order. Great, except I had no contact with anyone from the provider
after the intial ticket   logging onwards (my customer told me it was
fixed!).

As part of the fault follow-up, last week I spent 15 minutes on the
phone talking to a marketing person (hey, no harm, no foul, these guys
gotta eat too!), participating in a'performance survey',  on the
performance of the fault resolution. unfortunately the allowed
'blindingly amazing', with no 'totally cr@p!' allowed - (I couldn't
fault the  resolution, but the feedback was nonexistent- not good for
management of a fault). Great- I had my say...

Today (AND I KID YOU NOT!!!) I was called to participate in a performance
survey ON THE *$&#$@! PERFORMANCE SURVEY!!!

if they spent as much on the installations & maintenance  as they do on
the surveys, I'd be looking for a job in a different industry...

davidt