[OM] Worn weather seals

Subject: [OM] Worn weather seals
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:11:41 -0800 (PST)
Dr Flash wrote:
> I was just surprised that *any* of the high priced, weather sealed
> Canons had succumbed to 90 minutes of drizzle.  I think Moose had
> the answer which was age of the the seals, especially the lens
> mount.

I agree with Chuck that in reality, none of the 1D(x) series cameras
should have failed at all in those weather conditions.  I'm not in
agreement with Moose on this one because these cameras aren't that
old and aren't subjected to outdoor conditions 24/7.

I believe the biggest issue is the cold.  Damp conditions at near
freezing temperatures is tough on seals. I can guess what was going
on.  The photographers would put the camera back under their parkas
to keep them warm/dry.  This warm/cold cycling would suck moisture
right past the tiniest fault in a seal.  It would have been much
better to just keep the camera cold and covered by a bag, showercap
or something like that.  Their failure to be prepared for the rain is
very suprising.  I always have a showercap in my camera bag.

AG

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265