[OM] Start-up time [was: What the function of this button on the P1?]

Subject: [OM] Start-up time [was: What the function of this button on the P1?]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:04:04 -0700
Richard Lovison wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>> So, an on camera marketing tool. It reminds you why it's taking so long
>> to be ready to take a picture that you will miss the shot.
>
> You are joking, right?  The last thing that has ever gotten in the way
> when I turned the camera on to take a shot is the startup wait time due
> to sensor cleaning.  Checking WB, ISO, meter choice and whether the
> anti-shock setting is on or off has introduced a far greater slowdown.
>
> Even if all the above mentioned settings were set the way I needed them
> to be it still would take me more time to change the zoom setting to
> compose that "fleeting moment shot" then the time it takes to clean the
> sensor.  You must have been joking, right?

  This is one of those things that's always bothered me, now that you
mention it. Some old digital cameras were awfully slow to boot up -- the
first one I owned took longer to start up the more photos there  were on
the memory card, for some insane reason, so it could take literally
minutes after power on before you could do anything.

  But, wandering around at lunch yesterday, E-330 in hand, if I see
something I want to take a photo of, I flick the switch to 'on' with my
thumb, I bring it up to my eye, I point the lens in the right direction,
and by that time, it's finished its little startup dance.

  As Richard says, if I want to deal with zoom, that'll slow things down
(on _my_ end) even more; AF delay similarly, and that's without checking
WB/ISO/etc.

  Shot-to-shot delay, sure, that could make a difference; AF speed /
flash recycle, also, all a pain. But if the camera is _off_, it's
because I've stopped concentrating 100% on taking photos, and as long as
the camera can be ready to take a photo by the time _I_ am ready to take
a photo, the delay doesn't matter.

  Possibly, if the camera turned on _instantly_, I could take
poorly-framed shots of something roughly in the direction of the subject
more often -- and, yes, there might be a time when that makes all the
difference, I'll admit, but once I got a camera that took less than 3-4
seconds to start up, I've never found the delay to be a problem.

  Obligatory pro-SSWF argument: I'm using an E-series body, I have a
wide-angle lens mounted, but I see something a long way off that I want
to take a photo of.

  I hook the strap around my neck so I have both hands free, I remove
the wide lens, stick it in one pocket, grab long lens from another
pocket, mount that one, take the shot.

  Same situation, I'm using a Can*n body: I see the thing a long way
off, then:

  I pause to check there's no dust blowing around in general, I find a
safe spot to put the body down on where it's out of the wind, I get a
body cap out of my pocket, I take the wide lens off, I put the body cap
on as quickly as I possibly can to keep dust off the sensor, I put the
wide lens in a pocket, I get the long lens out of another pocket, I take
the body cap off, I put the long lens on, I put the body cap in a
pocket, I take the shot.

  -- dan