[OM] Re: Ebay scam I walked into

Subject: [OM] Re: Ebay scam I walked into
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 07:11:22 -0800
Ian is correct, I do know how to read headers. Furthermore, the message
was also in my in box on eBay! I have gotten in the habit of always
going through eBay to answer any eBay mail, because of all the scans,
but apparently that is not enough these days.

You can imagine that with scams like this it is relatively easy for
these folks to hijack actual eBay accounts and then send mail via them,
which was the case here.

It was by checking the IP address for the actual link I was told to go
to that I avoided the scam.

Jim

Jan Steinman wrote:
>> From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> I got one of these the other day, but the link looked suspect so I
>> passed on it, and reported it to eBay. The real tricky part of this is
>> that the mail DOES come through the eBay system.
>>

> I don't think so. They can forge the "From:" address. Much harder
> (though not impossible) is to fake the "Received:" lines in the header.

SNIP